Monday, September 3, 2012

The World Championships

Well I am back from Norway.... still alive after the 40+ hours of travel time in 6 days. Now I am getting ready for another good stretch of guiding and to spend some more time with my gals. I would again like to thank all those who gave to make my trip to Norway possible, I can never thank you enough.
All the Contries flags and the aeras seal.

Now here is how the whole thing started. In the spring of 2009 myself and Amy Hazel got the idea we would go to the SOR. I have never been to the ponds. She had been before and had a good idea on how thing were run and the general break down of the event. So with about a month of bad practice and about 9 broken rods and a few hundred dollars in lines later we were there. Driving straight to the ponds even before checking into the hotel I sat and watched some of the other casters. The boys that were in center pond were SMOKING casts.... All dressed in matching shirts casting those light baby blue lines that seemed to hold loops that would not end. This was my first glimpse of the Carron team. To this day that image haunts my mind. The qualifying day was a sight. The boys in blue had brought 7 team members and only 10 casters could qualify... you can guess how many Carron casters made the finals.
The favorite part of this great year. My Little girl.

The time spent getting my butt kick was not spent with my head down. I watched every cast and I was not afraid to ask questions, looking back I wished I knew the right questions to ask. Making friends with James Chalmbers, Raurri Costello, Gerard Downey, Gordon Armstrong, and Andrew Toft was a huge part of the growth of my casting. These are the people that are still pushing the future of distance Spey casting.

The boys and I after and great couple days!
Over the next 3 years the amount of trial and error, money and time. Learning to weld and build lines. All the casting realism's that were learned and are now going to be tough that are what defines a caster weather he is just an angler or a distance caster. The Journey that Spey casting has taken me on thus far is more than I could have ever imagined and the road ahead still has no limit and the learning and pushing of the world of spey castings potential will go on. Thanks to the people who believe in me the World title was brought home along with a new world record. Now in want to win SOR. The toughest comp in the world hands down...

Thor!!! I bet he has a mean right single.
I thing that the distance spey casting is going to continue to grow and will take a firm seat in the Northwest. Plus I believe the future of line and rod development depends on what we accomplish. So those of you thinking of competing do....and those who are untested watch or attend these events or support them thought some kinda of contribution. Thanks for reading a supporting me and the future of spey casting.
Thats how a loaded rod should look!!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Travis
    You are the man!! soooo happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travis, thanks for allowing us to share in your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having had the honor of watching you set your goal and then work so tirelessly toward achieving that goal has been an insrirational pleasure. Gem and I are so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete